First published on September 17, 2016.
To research Jehial Stanton, I started with the documents and information I already had about him. Amazingly, I have two news clippings that mention him. The first is a small clipping about his birthday:
From this clipping I jotted down the following information with the hopes of cross referencing it to other information from other sources as well as finding new avenues of research:
- Name is only written as J. Stanton (his name varies wildly from source to source)
- Lived on 917 LeClaire St, Davenport (IA) with his daughter Sarah Jane Husted
- Born on the 4th of July
- Been in Iowa/Illinois since 1850
- “Well known…” may mean that he shows up in biographies, histories and diaries of people in the area.
The second clipping that mentions Jehial is from Sarah Jane Husted’s Obituary.
Here’s the information I wrote down from this obituary:
- Daughter Sarah J. was born in Loville, Louis County, NY Aug 7, 1848
- Moved to Rock Island (IL) in 1850
- Name is listed as Jehral Stanton
- Wife’s name is Rebecca Stanton
- Stayed in Rock Island at least until Sarah was out of school
- Sarah is a member of the Old Settlers Association of Rock Island County so he might be too
- Has a son Frank A. Stanton who at the time live in Kansas City
- Possibly has a nephew Edward Remer in Davenport, IA
- Rev. H.B. Cox presided over Sarah’s funeral, might have information on the family in his diary
Again this is just the tip of the ice berg of information I have about Jehial. I know that some of this information might not be correct but hopefully I can corroborate these articles with census information.